Saturday, June 23, 2007

Ever feel like your plans are a mistake?

Sometimes I feel like somehow in spite of the best of intentions, I have made precisely the inappropriate decisions. Over the years I have learned to recognize this as a pattern of self-deprecation. To grow entails risk and may bring discomfort. The mistake would be to turn back from my plan before it is realized.

I have found that sometimes precisely what is needed is to remain in my own personal discomfort and not to run away from it. I have found that if I can simply dwell in the discomfort and witness my thoughts and emotions, it is only a matter of time before the path to a new way of being is lit.

I found myself in New York, with less than a week before my trip to Egypt, and nowhere near enough funds for the trip. The plans I had made previously had fallen through. I was already networking, but these things don't always move forward as fast as I might like. I had a pile of web work to do for some of my regular clients, but sitting at a computer in a stressed state doesn't help matters.

I knew intellectually this was just a trick of the mind, but I still had a hard time shifting. So I started sharing how I felt with the people I was with. This proved to be my saving grace. I was able to break out of my cyclical thinking and get support. I feel better now. What I am taking away from the events of the day is:
  • Witness my thoughts and emotions
  • Communicate how I feel
  • Remember to love myself
  • Remember that sometimes it is better to quit acting like I have it all together
I know this stuff. I teach this stuff. But...sometimes the lesson is to put what I teach into practice. The funny thing is, that in moving through to the new space, people started showing up and scheduling with me, and the financial solutions became clear.

Namaste

No comments: